20 January 2011

Green-light Thank You




I remember the first time my "Christian" script was given the green-light (a term that means give the go-ahead to move a project forward). I was so excited to see the actors in our church bring it to life. Since then many of my scripts have been performed and I eventually turned it into a book (And God Created Human).

As with any journey, there are people who travel beside you into new territory...I would like to take this moment to thank and acknowledge a few of them.

I first started writing "Christian" scripts in a workshop started at church by a couple of friends of mine, Renae, and her husband, Casey. Writing "Christian" material was new to me. I had a strong faith but I didn't know if it would translate well on to paper.

Renae laughed and cried and "got" what I was usually trying to convey in my scripts. She became such an encourager of my work at that time. In a sense, she green-lighted my scripts to be presented to the pastor for consideration of having them performed for the congregation. This is something I will be forever grateful. She is no longer part of the church but God has an exciting path for her as she makes her way through seminary.

Pastor Stephen Lien would receive my scripts for possible presentation. Many he green-lighted...Occasionally giving us the go-ahead days before we were to present it! We'd scramble about like maniacs, but it gave us the adrenaline to put together the performance in a dynamic way! I laugh now and I think, How did we do that? [wink]


Pastor Lien was innovative, creative and brought a freshness to our church (with a beautiful singing voice to boot). Many enjoyed this. Pastor Lien has gone on to other wonderful opportunities using his many creative gifts for God. Thank you, Pastor Lien, for supporting and encouraging my work at the beginning!

Then there's our lovely worship leader, Katheryne, who currently green-lights my work. She calls me up with ideas and supports me 110 percent. It doesn't get any better than this.

And, thank you to Richard (always cast as God) for his enthusiasm and thoughtfulness!

Thank you to the congregation for their encouraging words! What a gift this is to me.

Most of all, Thank You to my amazing husband who supports me in all that I do! I have grown so much as a person since we've connected. He makes life fun, exciting and full of joy. And, talk about encouragement! He reads every script, gives me his constructive thoughts, occasionally acts a scene onstage for the congregation (if I ask him) and is my biggest cheerleader (in writing and life). He's the best.

Thank you, God, for the gift of passion! Without it, life would be quite dull. The passion of music, art, literature, dance, drama...and so much more. You, being the creator of creativity, have blessed us with something that brings the best out of humanity...the best parts of our souls. I'm with You, God, on whatever you decide to green-light!

No comments: