09 February 2011

Anatomy of a Performance - Part 4


From Concept to Script to Stage
We are still on Day 20 (February 7) - I made a call to the church wanting to schedule use of the Hall that we'll be performing in for a rehearsal. No such luck. The church will be hopping busy that day. I settle for use of another room.


I then call my Worship Director verifying that it's OK if I use the room (it's one of hers). Absolutely, she says.... but, she has to find an extra key......


Day 21 (February 10) I receive an email from a Program Committee member who asks me to give her a call. I call her and leave a message and she calls back saying she has a great idea for the skit. I hesitate only because I don't want to be changing things at this hour making anything more confusing for the actors since we're limited on time to begin with. After playing phone tag she leaves her idea on my voicemail. It's a sweet idea and, funny enough, I had discussed the subject matter with one of the other presenters of the program. However, as wonderful as it is, I feel the audience's attention will shift if the idea is presented in the skit which will take away from the message that is being conveyed.


Day 22 (February 11) I call the Program Committee member and leave a message explaining my concerns and why I won't add it for this particular skit.


Day 23 (February 14) I receive an email from the actor who replaced the other actor about a medical emergency. She cannot make Tuesday's rehearsal but would still like to be a part of the scene. I immediately call and email her expressing understanding and letting her know I would be happy for her to stay a part of this but not to feel any pressure. I decide to learn the lines and be the backup...just in case. I call my Worship Director to keep her in the loop.


Day 24 (February 15) Feeling a little concerned about not having heard back from our actor who had the medical emergency.


The other actors and I meet for rehearsal in the evening and we have a blast. Everything goes smoothly and we agree on next rehearsal date (this Sunday).


Day 25 ( February 16) Received an email from the Program Committee saying that the church's dinner celebration (where we'll be performing our scene) is SOLD OUT and they are looking to add more dinner accommodations in another room. It'll be a full house that night.


I leave a message on my Worship Leaders voicemail about last night's rehearsal and our upcoming rehearsals.


Day 26 (February 17) I received an email today from the actor who had the medical emergency. She's not able to do the role, so I will be stepping into it.


Day 27 (February 20) Rehearsal this morning (after church service) with the other 3 actors. After milling about socializing and getting coffee we finally meet in our Fellowship Hall.
We run through the script - stopping, directing, fumbling over lines and each other, starting up again - for about an hour and a half, and are reasonably happy and satisfied with our progress. Doing the scene over and over again - verbally and physically - in the space we'll be performing it, helps to solidify the performance piece in our minds, muscles and spirits.

No comments: