08 February 2011

Anatomy of a Performance - Part 3


From Concept to Script to Stage
It's about time...
Day 14 (February 1) I finally sit down at my computer and start typing the scene. The puzzle is now being put together and starting to make sense.
In the mid-afternoon, as I finish the "women's early years" at the church, I am ready to start writing about the 4-Generation Family. I first check email and, to my pleasant surprise, find an email from a member of the family with lots of detail and funny moments of her experience at the church.
I enthusiastically start typing away again and finish the script in the early evening.
Despite being exhausted when he gets home, my Hubby reads the script and enjoys it.

Day 15 (February 2) I email the script to our Worship Director for approval.

Day 16 (February 3) Worship Director approves script. I email the Actors the Script and at the same time suggest a rehearsal date for a Saturday.

Day 17 (February 4) Actors cannot make Saturday rehearsal. I send out another email with another suggestion - this time a Tuesday rehearsal. This is good for everyone…so it’s set.



Day 18 (February 5) One Actor realizes they cannot commit to the scene afterall because of a conflict with a scheduled vacation. She calls and emails me apologizing, assuring me she will find a replacement. I am out of town so I don’t realize this until a day later when I check messages.

Day 19 (February 6) I call the Actor back reassuring her its fine and thanking her for finding a replacement. I still have to talk to her to ask questions about this replacement to make sure this person will fit the scene.

Day 20 (February 7) I touch base by leaving a couple of more messages to the Actor that has withdrawn asking her to contact me. In the meantime, I peruse through the church directory again looking for backup in case this replacement doesn’t work out. Lo and behold, I find the replacement’s picture in the directory! She looks perfect. Has a great youthful look, which the part requires.
I finally get a call from Actor that withdrew, explained that I found the picture and that I like the look, but, can she perform? Actor raves about the person’s acting ability and wonderful energy. I’m hooked.
I call the replacement and leave a message offering her the role and, at the same time, email her the script. I then call our Worship Director explaining the change in actors.
I get a call from new Actor and we have a wonderful conversation. She also notes that she can make the rehearsals. One less worry for me. Not too long after, my Worship Director calls raving about the new Actor. And all is good.

More to follow....

No comments: